Oil blow-by

To: "'spritelist'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil blow-by
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:50:16 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
O.K. list, I'm feeling some frustration by the amount of oil my car seems to
be burning for possible reasons other than tired rings or valves.  Here are
the facts:

        -       1275 no-smog equip motor running 20W-50 oil
        -       freshly rebuilt head by very reputable shop - new guides,
seals, et al
        -       compression readings of 183 - 190 lbs each cyl w/ all plugs
out, throttle wide open, and no additional oil in the cylinders
        -       crankcase is vented thru timing chain cover (dah) into the
S.U.s, NOT into the intake manifold thru a PCV valve.
        -       aftermarket valve cover with VENTED cap
        -       exhaust seems to smoke most in the midrange (around 3000
rpms) vs. start-up or under heaviest acceleration. I'm sure it's pushing
more oil at 3000 rpms than it is at 4500 for example.
        -       oil pressure consistent with what other folks report

So, any ideas?  Thanks much...

Al Tocci
Doylestown, PA
'66 Sprite