Re: Stainless bolts

To: froggi@cdsnet.net
Subject: Re: Stainless bolts
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 06:30:12 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Herb,
Not hearsay, but experience. Comes from working on other cars that have
used stainless for suspension bits, most notably a MGTD that sheared
through the bolts holding the spring pan. The owners answer "But they
were aircraft grade!".
Also the book "Nuts Bolts And Fasteners" by Carroll Smith recomends
against using stainless. What does the head stamping on your stainless
bolts show, I have not seen any that were at least grade 5, my minimum
for anything I want to stay attached.
Regards,
Peter S.
Charlotte NC