stainless bolts

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: stainless bolts
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:52:06 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Having read what has been posted, it seems that the only stuff worth
replacing with stainless are the cockpit surround screws, the various bolts
under the bonnet that hold sheet metal to sheet metal (pedal box plate,
radiator, bonnet hinges, etc.)

What I will do instead of replacing hardened bolts with stainless is replace
with new bolts of the same grade.  They'll look good for at least a few
years and let me sleep better knowing the suspension is not riding on
tortured 41 year old steel.

Just a few weeks ago I replaced all the wheel studs with 7/16" studs.  I had
been nervous ever since the Goodyear bozo overtorqued them and broke two.  I
had been nervously waiting to hear the others let loose in a fast curve.
Now I don't sweat it at all.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye