Re: Stainless bolts

To: LBCarNut@carolina.rr.com, froggi@cdsnet.net
Subject: Re: Stainless bolts
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 06:54:43 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/12/2000 6:34:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LBCarNut@carolina.rr.com writes:

<< Also the book "Nuts Bolts And Fasteners" by Carroll Smith recomends
 against using stainless. What does the head stamping on your stainless
 bolts show, I have not seen any that were at least grade 5, my minimum
 for anything I want to stay attached. >>

FWIW, I have always heard that stainless clocks in at around a grade 2.  Was
it on here a couple of years ago we had this discussion about bolt grades?
And stainless, while pretty, came out a clear loser, strength wise.  It's
kind of like a bolt with make-up--pretty to look at on the outside, but not
much there on the inside.  8^)

--David C.