Re: My Midget runs, sort of

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My Midget runs, sort of
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:34:51 EDT
wmgilroy@lucent.com writes:

<< I got my 77 Midget running today but I am having some problems as
 usual. The car starts when hot, but is very hard to start when
 cold.  A bit of gas in the carb helps greatly.  >>

Sounds like the choke isn't closing.  You might want to consider a manual
choke conversion.  They are a lot more reliable.

<<  I cannot get
 the car to idle below 1200 RPM.  When at an idle the RPM hunts
 around by maybe 200 RPM.  The timing also fluctuates with the
 RPM. >>

The timing is fluctuating because the vacuum advance is advancing as the RPMs
go up.  (Or is that RsPM?  Grammar nazis, please help.)

<<  Oil pressure is 45 PSI while hot at an idle and 65 PSI
 when cold at an idle.  >>

That's real good.  After my '77 heats up completely the pressure drops down
to less than 30 at a slow idle, and about 50 at 3500 RPM.

<<  I have not pulled the plugs yet to
 see what they look like.  The point gap is set to .015 and
 the timing is set to 2 degrees ATDC as per the shop manual.  >>

Hmmmm.  My shop manual (Haynes, I think I used!) says 10 deg BTDC.  I have it
set at about 8 deg BTDC.  Are you sure about that timing setting?  Maybe the
earlier dizzy would make the setting different, but that wouldn't be in the
manual.  I will check my owners manual tomorrow when I pick up my car.  (Not
"pick up" but when I get my car.  Gimme a break!)  The 2 deg ATDC setting
might be for static timing the dizzy.  If you need it, I'll bring my timing
light on Saturday and we can check it.  Let me know.

<< I am running an earlier mechanical dizzy if that matters.  Not
 sure about all the vacuum lines (no wise comments).  The
 points, wire, and dizzy cap have less than 300 miles on them.
 Fuel pump works great and I put in 2 filters, one before the
 pump and one at the carb.  The manufacturer of the pump recommends
 one before the pump.  It will be a PITA to change on the road
 side when it clogs.  >>

If you think it is a vacuum leak, just buy a roll of vacuum hose and replace
each one on the car.  My car was desmogged so I only have the one vacuum line
to the dizzy advance.  You probably have more.  Replace them one at a time so
you don't get confused.  I did that on my Mitsubishi.  (It made no difference
at all.  Then I replaced the O2 sensor and fixed the problem.)

I have one filter after my fuel pump.  The mechanical fuel pumps on the 1500
Midgets are much more reliable than the electrical ones on earlier cars.
Plus, you don't have to put up with all that clicking noise.

Keep on pluggin' Bill.  I'll see you Saturday!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport