Re: Just bought a Midget!

To: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Just bought a Midget!
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:02:08 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
CHarley,

As with the B folks.  The first thing you'll want to do is change the carb.
Thay have a nasty habit of flooding the pistons with gas and fouling the oil
with no warning at all.

My recommendation would be spend the $200-$300 on either a Weber, or the twin
SU's off a UK spec Midget.  Typical Weber Vs SU arguments apply.  Ease of
adjustment vs tweakability.

Also, keep an eye on the crankshaft endplay.  It should be between 0.006" and
0.014".  THe thrust washers tend to drop into the oil pan when the endfloat
gets towards the larger end of the spectrum.  Us 1500 folks have machine shops
pin them in.

If you go the aftermarket fuel pump route,  there's a guy on the spit list who
made a bunch of blanking plates for the 1500.  Let me know and I'll dig up his
name.

COngrats on the purchase.

Mike

Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com> wrote:

  Hi all,

  My name is Charley Robinson an' I live in Kerrville, TX.  I've been
hanging out on the MG List for the last couple of years since I have a
'69 B daily driver.

  Anyhoo, I ran into what looked like a good deal on a '76 Midget last
month and couldn't resist buying it.  It looks good has mint wire wheels
w/good tires, also an almost-new top.  Everything is there and it runs
well with good oil pressure and no extemporianeous noises when it runs.
(G)

 The kid I bought it from thought the carb (ZS) was too rich and was
fouling the plugs.  I got it fired up and almost drove it home but the
fuel pump quit and we had to tow it the last mile or so.  It's been
sitting under a cover the last three weeks while we went to CA in the
B.

  I'll need to buy some manuals first thing as I don't know jack about
midgets and ZS carbs.  Any recommendations?

  Cheers,

  Charley Robinson
  Kerrville, TX
  '76 Midget