Fw: "Concours" Restoration

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: "Concours" Restoration
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 14:35:59 -0400
I always understood "concours" to mean in pristine condition and exactly as
it was manufactured. My only point was that a car could not be a concours
car if it has been altered. It may be a very nice and/or perfect car but
with the wrong engine, etc., it is not concours.

A friend of my brother-in-law's is a judge at the national level for
concours events. One time there were two MG-TDs that were equal. The tie
breaker was the fan belt tension. One car had it correct at 8 1/2 pounds the
other was not! The correct one got 1st place.

The point again is accurate descriptions are important. For another example
check out the below listed car and it's description. Pay special attention
to "original" and then what he says was engineered for this conversion!

I quote "It is as original as you can get with a customized 327 Chevy Engine
and a 350 Turbo 3 speed Automatic Transmission. "

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=460790346

Likewise with "restored" as opposed to "rebuilt". To me, restored is put
back to factory specs. Rebuilt could mean repaired to like new condition but
not to stock specs. A restored engine would not have a bigger cam, higher
compression, different carb, etc. A rebuilt engine could!

Kent
1960 Bugeye (rebuilt not restored)