RE: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S

To: <type79@ix.netcom.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 13:25:11 -0800 m>
I found all 3 of my spridgets on the "net" 2 of them here on the list, and
the 3rd on Ebay. I think it is great.

Toby

69 Sprite
69 Midget
74 Midget

For what it's worth, I'll relate my experience with internet car ads.

I find that most sellers don't take internet ads and responses
seriously. Maybe they post the ad and forget about it as the ad lingers
on the net.

I have responded to numerous on line ads and most sellers aren't
prepared to send pics, provide details, or in some cases, the email
address links to someone who posted the ad for a friend and therefore
has no real info on the car.

I recently contacted a seller of a Midget in Rhode Island. Car sounded
like an extremely good car in the ad. Email responses took days or a
week. Responses were very vague. Finally he informed me that he posted
the ad for a friend in New Jersey. I contacted her and i guess she
didn't know enough about the car to respond to me.  I tried to arrange
an appointment to go there to see the car but finally gave up due to her
lack of response.

I am familiar enough with Sprites that I can determine how solid and
complete a Spridget may be if i'm given proper answers and pics of key
areas. But most sellers that respond with pics, send 3/4 shots of the
entire car from 15 feet. Most every car looks good from 15 feet.

I usually don't tell sellers of my location so that they are not
skeptical of my commitment to travel or ship the car. When I do inform
them of the distance involved, I honestly tell them that distance is not
a problem.

As a seller, I posted an ad last year on the Hemmings site and while the
eventual buyer wasn't a respondent to the internet ad, I found it a very
efficient sales tool. I had one very serious prospect to whom I was able
to send pics in response to his specific requests. He was 60 miles away
and it was useful for both of us that he had a very good idea of what he
was surveying before he made the trip.

But again, I think that most sellers that post internet ads do so just
for the hell of it. I will continue to investigate internet ads, but I
think they are largely a waste of time for the buyer.

I would be interested in hearing other listers experiences with internet
car ads.

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT
Sprites & Innocentis