Re: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:29:08 -0500
>I would be interested in hearing other listers experiences with
internet
>car ads.
>
>Jay Fishbein

I have acquired 3 (read all) cars via the internet.  When I
decided I wanted a Bugeye besides scouring the local
papers/booklets etal I also went to the net.  I also experienced
some people, while they have a car listed, who were slow to
answer and where very vague on answering questions.  These people
I usually just wrote off after a few attempts at trying to get
additional info or make an appointment to see the car.  Usually
the people who know what they have respond, those who acquired
the car as payment for an outstanding debt, as a gift, etc.
don't really know enough to answer any questions and usually have
a unrealistic opinion as to its real value. One guy had one body
and enough parts for three more cars but it was all (sorry) junk,
but he thought it was his gold mine. I drove almost two hundred
miles to see what he had and to finally get him to state a price.

That said, thats how I found my '62 Sprite with 1738 (then 1712)
original miles. After contact was established I still couldn't
believe that such a car existed until I drove 100+ miles to check
it out in person.  What was stated to me over the net was all
true and understated at that.  I acquired my '59 bugeye from as
it turned out a local person who advertised on the net vice the
papers etal.  Again the condition of the car was understated.  I
gave up talking on the net as my questions weren't really being
fully answered and I was about to write him off as one just
feeling out the market and not really wanting to sell.  I finally
got him to set an appointment so that I could see what it was
that he really had.  When I got there and saw the car and found
out all the work that he had done to it I couldn't really believe
his price (low).  As it turned out, he didn't really want to
sell, he had to (divorce). I got the car, his ex got the check,
and he got to video tape it being loaded on the trailer and going
down the road.  The latest addition, '71 Midget, was posted to
this board as free come and get it.  Couldn't argue with the
price.  Again condition was understated (first posting) after
contact some more details/condition was sent which made you
think, ya right, for free!  When I picked up the car it was in
better shape than I had hoped for.  At first I was thinking parts
car but after I got it home and crawled around it, it's to good
to part out. General cleaning, flushing, etc, a new top and paint
and it will be roadworthy.  My son has lusted over the '62 (he
likes that body style better than the bugeye) so now 'we' (you
know how that usually goes) have a project.

Biff Jones
Pasadena, MD
'59 Bugeye, "Kermit'
'62 Sprite, 'Ole Gray'