Re: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Internet Car Ads was Re: Bugeye F/S
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:30:23 -0800
Interesting topic...

I have sold 4 cars over the internet. 3 Mmidgets and one Bugeye. I've
purchased one. Two I sold were through the original PDLJMR website ad
listing, tha other two (last year) were through the usual places you can
list cars on the net.

I found that 99% who respond, ask for more pics and info, which I always
provided within a few hours of receiving the request. I always had numerous
pictures listed on a web a page, the URL to which was listed in the ad. I
could always tell that thay are usually tire kickers because, in my case,
the answers to their questions were in the ad not to mention "more photos
at...<URL>. Of course I question whether half of them could even read since
they could not ask a question as a complete sentence or even have the
courtesy of giving their name. They are the same ones who never reply
again.

Of the people who did go further in their interest and made appointments to
see the car, about a third of them never show up or bother to let you know
they won't make it.

I did meet a few very nice people, however and my experience with them was
always great. The guy who bought my '62 Midget still calls or emails me
once in a while to let me know how much fun he's having with the car. Then
there was the guy who came to test drive the '75 Midget who'd never driven
a stick in his life... that was an experience I wouldn't like to repeat. He
did buy the car though(?)

The bottom line is you're dealing with human nature so it will take a lot
of patience with every aspect of the experience. Most of all, unless you;re
really lucky, or what you're selling is REALLY cheap (like free) or rare,
don't expect to sell it quickly.

I absolutely agree with Frank about being honest in the ad. We've all been
on the receiving end of the distortions... not fun. I too have helped
others with finding or looking at cars, and I have received enormous help
from list members with parts and problem solving.

I did make the mistake of listing a car for a neighbor... he'd never bother
to follow-up on the leads I provided him. I'll never do that again! Even
though I put his email and phone number in the ad, they'd always reply to
me instead.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -