Re: clutch bleeding

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch bleeding
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:15:42 -0400
Hey Mike!

I don't believe that the reservoir does sit level, but I have not
investigated the innards.  A more level reservoir is the goal, as I
understand it.  I could take a photo and post it or draw a picture and post
it, but first, imagine this ( or try it ).  Take a drinking glass and put an
inch of water in it.  Now tilt it to about the same angle as the shelf under
the bonnet that the MC is attached to.  The upper part feeds into the brake
line.

Okay, pictures at 11 . . .

First the MC in question.  Notice the beer bottle and the liquid in it.
Okay red was a bad choice!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/11/clutch_MC.jpg

Now if you can imagine lifting the front end of the car, this happens:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette/11/imitate_front_lift.jpg

You may note that I did not lift the car, but merely put my finger under the
bottom of the front edge of the bottle.

Another experiment that you can do involves volume.  Stand a full glass of
beer upright and don't tilt it.  The beer stays full ( unless you have a
straw ).  But if you were to tilt it to the angle of the clutch MC, it would
not be able to hold as much volume of liquid and some would spill out,
because a liquid seeks its own level.  ( Here come the engineers. )  And
that's what this whole thing was about.  Mostly the volume of fluid that you
can put in the MC between pumping sessions.  But also, that you won't start
pumping air into the line as early with the same amount of fluid because the
fluid will be more level.  ( I can't imagine how much you would have to lift
the front end to actually get the MC level. )

Robert D.