Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [back onto LBCs] An amazing A-series engine story
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 08:23:26 -0500
I too have had great results with Red Line and Mobil 1 as synthetic
lubricants.  But my vintage race midget just seems to leak so much oil out
that I can't imagine pouring that expensive stiff in there.  Recently I had
the engine out and replaced all of the lower seals ( I had the mother of all
oil leaks back then).  Better now...sort of back to normal terrible instead
of Exxon Valdez.

So, my question:  As I have the engine out again to track down an oil
pressure problem, maybe some of you can share any secrets you've come across
to keep synthetic oil (any oil, for that matter) in the engine.  I use
Hylomar on the sump gasket, goober a bunch of it around the ends of the cork
seals at each end of the crankshaft, and, this last time, used some sort of
neoprene or soft synthetic seal in place of the rear cork seal.  I know at
least a couple of suppliers sell a proper rear main seal mod, but I've heard
they are not too reliable.

What thoughts mightn the list share?

--JohnD