Repairing pitted surfaces

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Repairing pitted surfaces
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:37:52 -0400
After removing the fenders and cleaning out the light rust on top of the
wheel arch, I9m now left with a light to more heavily pitted surface.  I
have sanded this to bare metal and will next go after the traces of rust in
pits with a wire brush and phosphoric acid rust remover.

My plan is to eventually refinish the engine compartment with the
nitrocellulose lacquer paint supplied by William Wolf and Co..  As it now
stands, however, this would leave a nicely painted, but still pitted
surface.

So how do I get that pitted surface smooth again?  Is this where body filler
and sanding comes in, or are there other options?

I9m all ears!

Mike Gagne