Re: Steering Play

To: chuckc@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Steering Play
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:05:04 -0600
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sorry for the brevity earlier. Running real hard today.
BTDT and SMP   Yes, been there, done that, had the column pull off after a
rather "spirited" left hander, hence SMP. Go figure. Your real concern
shouldn't be play, but disengagement. Here's the deal, and Frank agrees
with me on this... I think he's had a similar experience, the bolt which is
meant to pinch the clamp also is meant to locate into a groove on the
pinion shaft. That bolt frequently wears a bit so it no longer locates the
column and the slop becomes in and out until, well, it becomes just out.
The cure was to buy a new bolt, and not any bolt, but one with the proper
unthreaded length, and install it. Then drill through the reenforced clamp
part and the pinion and drive in a suitable roll pin.
         I suspect that if you have side to side play because of the
splines being worn, that the bolt is worn as well. Pinning will solve both
issues.
         I hope everyone runs out to the garage and checks theirs. I'll
wager that almost 50% need attention. Honest. This applies to
pre-collapsible columns. After that, I'm not sure.

         Take care.    Peter C
==