Steering Play

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Play
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:23:19 -0500
I have once again got just a faint trace of play at the steering
wheel. Last time this occurred, I traced it to a loose clamp
where the steering column clamps onto the splines that go
into the rack. Well, the same clamp has loosened again.
I'm guessing that maybe the splines on the rack's input
shaft are wearing out?? Is this a common problem? If
so, are there standard, everybody does it, kinda solutions?

I'd really hate to have to replace the entire rack. Guess I
could yank the steering column and shim the splines with some
teflon tape or some such, but ... that doesn't seem like the
cowboy way.

Ideas?

chuckC (Caps -- UseEm or LoseEm)