Re: painting advice wanted

To: "Chris King" <cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: painting advice wanted
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:05:55 -0500 FILETIME=[C7C6EE50:01C18832]
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>From what I've been told, it's actually a base (NaOH), that they dip the car
in to strip it of everything, including rust.  And then, when it's all
stripped, they take it out and dip it in the phosphoric acid tank to
neutralize the base and leave that dull grey oxide finish on the body so it
won't rust right away.  Any fluid left in the seams has been converted to
water after neutralization, so it shouldn't affect the paint finish....as
long as you let it dry out.  Some places will even heat up the body after
all this to dry it out faster.

Bob

>I've also searched their archives, since I also have a shell that will need
to be stripped. the general consensus is that with acid dipping, you need to
be sure all the acid is neutralized. There have been some occasions where
there was still acid in the seams and this did nasty things to a new paint
job. It does get rid of all the rust, and doesn't potentially warp metal
like media blasting can.