Re: Electronic Distributor

To: jleclainche@cox.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Distributor
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:04:38 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I believe Ignitor and Pertronix are previous and new versions of the same.

I have an Ignitor in my boat, but when I did the Bugeye, it had become
Pertronix.  If Ignitor is still a name elsewhere, I didn't know it.

I found the Pertronix to be OK IF:

1) you don't leave the ing. on with the eng. off.  It will fry pronto.

2) you do not disconnect all the plug wires and check one plug for spark
while cranking.  It will fry pronto

3) don't hook up the wires backwards.  It will fry pronto.

I have had good luck with replacement (they made good), but built a whole
bank of test plugs to look at the spark of all four while cranking.  I remove
all plugs, connect all wires to the test plugs and then crank.

Don't ask me why all that happens, I just live with the experience..  I
wanted to use the pertronix because there is no external box. Oh, I'm using a
hot coil, but not a Lucas.

John Carey
San Jose, CA
61 Bugeye