Re: Handeling problems

To: James Dowling <jimdinalameda@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Handeling problems
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:00:55 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
James Dowling wrote:
> O.K. now that I've finally got this sucker running like a little top, it is
> all over the road. Wanders and rolls. So I am wondering where I should
> start. Shocks, tie rod ends, springs or what? Also, I noticed in the book it
> mentions topping of the shocks. How is this done? Is there a plug on top
> that I don't see?

There is a plug on top of the shocks for topping up. But if they need
oil, they probably leak. If they leak, email Peter about rebuilt shox.
<nosimport@mailbag.com>
Also check the trunion bushings at the top of the king pin where the
shock arm mounts
and the A frame bushings.
Do a bounce test on the front, this will tell you how bad the shocks
are. Usually new shocks fix most front end trounles.
Also give a quick check to your wheel alignment. You can do this within
reason using a helper and a tape measure.
Toe in should be between 1/16" and 1/8" meaning the front of the tires
should measure 1/16 to 1/8" LESS then the back of the tires.
Hook a tape measure on the outermost tire tread behind the wheels and
take a measurement to the same tread on the other side of the car.
Now do the same across the front of the wheels. If it's not close to
1/8" less, make some adjustments.
Slightly out wheel alignment will make for a squirrely front end.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ