Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"

Subject: Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 22:18:38 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
That's because there are Club people who are not really into the cars that
distort the club experience. We've all know them. They are the same "climbers"
you encounter in everyday life that you seek to avoid in your leisure time. To
these people, car clubs are like country clubs where car ownership is the ticket
of entry.

I see the cars and my experiences and enjoyment with the cars as primary. Cars
are my hobby; car clubs are not. I've encountered enough bs from club members to
last me a lifetime. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good clubs and well
meaning members, but...

"You folks who go to shows are reaping the benefits provided by dues paying
members."
You know, that's not fair. Car shows are a two-way street. You can't have a car
show without someone to organize and stage the show, and you can't have a car
show without the cars. You say you charge more for non-members, so what's your
beef?

In my opinion, the best thing that happened to the car hobby in general is the
internet. And these lists are perfect examples. They have erased the need for
the
top heavy club administrations and shown that much of the expense is
unnecessary.

Some clubs scrape to get by. Others throw the member a few crumbs while their
officers have expense budgets, including paid travel expenses, and generally
have
their own good time at the expense of the members in general.

To quote one officer who spoke at an Austin-Healey event some years ago "I want
to thank all those members not here for paying for our party".

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT
http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/