Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"

To: "David Deutsch" <mgman@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Now Clubs WAS "A little blue thing in my driveway"
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 08:04:52 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> I have obviously stumbled on a list that I don't belong on. Sorry to have
> taken up your time.

Now David, take it easy,
We mean you well, but we have all been slammed a few too many times for
having Spridgets. Please keep in mind that this is also a club. Yes, the
fees are strictly  voluntary, but I for one pay more voluntary dues for this
one than my local MG club charges.

So from the perspective of this club, the scenario worked like this: One of
our club members in good standing asked for a favor; you responded saying
that you could grant his favor, but only if he was in your club, too. This
comes across as a bit of a slap in the face to our club. I am sure that you
did not mean it that way, but email does not always convey the wealth of
inflections that voices do. Heck, people seldom even proofread their emails
before hitting the Send button, let alone spell-check or polish their
syntax.

If you had granted his favor, you would have had a glorious opportunity to
make NAMGBR look good and might well have signed up a new member.

I firmly believe that belonging to my local MG club greatly enhances my MG
experience with rallies and autocrosses and access to tools, books, and
other resources I would not otherwise enjoy. I am not quite sure where
NAMGBR fits into the picture. Yes, I am aware that Kim Tonry edits a great
newsletter and drives a Midget. Yes, I know that you have MG conventions
like the one in St Louis in June. As a matter of fact, as Driving Events
Coordinator for the Chicagoland MG Club, I took it upon myself to scout out
a non-interstate Route 66 route for our club members to take to get to the
convention. No, the club did not cover any of those expenses either. Nor did
I ask. I am sure that NAMGBR is a fine organization, I just think that it is
highly unfortunate that they retain the MGB in the middle of it. As you
probably noticed, many Midget owners as well as most Sprite owners don't
feel comfortable with joining an organization that touts itself as an MGB
group. As the volume of MGBs on the road decreases, the need to make other
LBCs welcome becomes more important to the continued vitality of your club.
Maybe if it were to become NAMGBASR (North American MGB And Spridget
Registry) you would find out how many Spridget owners would be delighted at
the recognition and go out of their way to be helpful. So often we are split
up with the Sprites going with Austin Healey and the Midgets going to MG
clubs. Even at the regional car show we are separated. I for one would
welcome the opportunity to have Spridgets united.
David Lieb
RWA Midgets
Of course, then we would all feel looked down upon by the Bugeye contingent,
but such is life...