Re: Hypothetical Question

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hypothetical Question
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:51:56 -0500
> OK here is the scenario.
> 1) 2 wheel tow dolly with the "center pivoting" wheel mount thingys
> (Don't know what else to call them)
> 2) STEEL Wheel LBC
> 3) Frozen Diff
> Or perhaps it is just better to pull the 1/2 shafts??

If I were doing this, I would ask the listerati for broken halfshafts that I
could install so that the bearings could still receive their proper oil bath
without the frozen pumpkin trying to do anything. I would consider this
greatly preferrable to having the front wheels towed backwards to the caster
angles (you remember, the factor that helps the wheels center themselves
properly when going FORWARDS). Having towed a car backwards with a tow truck
once, I can assure you that it would be interesting, although I was glad
that the car I was towing started as junkyard bait (it certainly was by the
time it arrived). I can also tell you just how much an American steering
lock will hold and it does not equal the stresses involved in towing a car
backwards. I doubt that LBC locks hold even that much.
David Lieb