Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:20:10 EDT
First let me say my car's not running yet, so I'm not sure if this means
sh*t, but here goes:

I did four things to make my car run cooler.  It's not intended to be
original, or race, just quick street and maybe a little half arsed.

1)  electric fan.  I've heard different things about this but the real
sources seem to say it should be on the FRONT of the radiator.

2)  took off the rubber bumper.  Gotta think the airflow's better without it.
 Welded a brace between the frame horns and put a new grill in the oval hole,
looks kind of nice, I think.

3)  didn't mount the oil cooler with the radiator, so the heat from each is
separate.  I put grills in the holes where the bumper supports used to pass
through the front fenders and build a duct and mount to channel all that air
through the cooler right inside the left fender.

4)  I put the heater core in the right fender and did the same thing as with
the oil cooler.  The bitch with this is the heater core has no flanges or
anything to mount with so some other type of radiator (motorhome trans cooler?)
might be easier to use.

Sorry it hasn't been tested yet but I feel like these changes have got to
have some effect, although I've heard other people say the problem has more to
do
with the (lack of) engineering of the air flow OUT of the engine compartment,
that the body just doesn't flow the air out.  Those vents in the fender of a
68 vette are functional and they exist because of this issue.

Mark M.

PS I had asked about spinning the oil pump - it seems to work but I'd advise
that you put the oil filter on first.