Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish

To: yup1275@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:52:32 -0700
Cc: mg <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Dave -

How hot exactly is "hot'? 200, 212, 230 ...? And whereabouts do you drive?

I'm in So Cal but near the beach so not terribly hot yet, but running in
70 & 80s this month. My Bugeye is running at 160-170 while cruising and
up to 175 at longish stoplights. This is a 1380 engine so plenty of heat
generated.

Like you I have a oil cooler (mounted sideway on radiator support
bracket directly behind heater openning in bonnet), a blanking sleeve in
place of t-stat, and blocked by-pass. Running about 80% water - 20%
anti-freeze, and stock yellow plastic fan.

I think the main 2 things keeping my temperature down are my radiator
and water pump. I am running the original downflow radiator - but  with
a new off-set 3 row core, so more cooling space. The water pump is a
larger deep-impeller type, and has a larger pulley, so as you say the
water is moving more slowly thru radiator (more time to lose heat).

If you haven't yet, I would suggest checking your radiator to make sure
its up to "snuff". Maybe replace the crossflow with an aluminum radiator
out of one of the popular mini Japanese or American cars (Frank C or
Glenn B can recommend the best ones).Then think about a deep impeller
water pump and finally the larger pulley.

Good luck,
Jim Rogers
San Juan Capistrano, CA