Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish

To: David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Heater as Cooler - longish
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
--- David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com> wrote:
> In theory, I agree that the fan should be mounted
> behind the radiator.

I apologize - I'm jumping in late here - haven't read
any of this thread.  In case anyone cares, the
"engineering" reason behind mounting the fan as David
says is because the flow is more laminar rather than
turbulent in a "pull" configuration.  Before anyone
says turbulent flow will provide better heat transfer
(you're right), empirical data typically shows that
the decreased pressure drop and increased flow induced
by laminar flow more than offsets the heat transfer
gain of a turbulent system.  If the fan were
extrememly powerful or had a large electric motor,
putting it behind the heat exchanger does not penalize
the HX by making the HX reject the temperature rise
that occurs across the fan.

=====
Ron Soave

"And another thing.....when I gun the motor, I want the whole world to think
it's coming to an end."

- Homer Simpson