Re: getting there

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: getting there
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 22:34:21 +0100
On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 04:07:17PM -0500, David Lieb wrote:
> > I have no idea what this means.  I assume that I screw it in to the point
> > where the contact is being pressed in, but the pedal is still at the top
> > (hence not activating the brakes)?
>
> The idea is that the switch not prevent the mastercylinder piston from
> freely returning to its proper position. If you screw the switch in too far,
> you can prevent the residual pressure in the brake lines from releasing and
> have to ask the list why your brakes are always on. Both Haynes and Bentley
> illustrate this adjustment in their manuals.
> David Lieb

I gathered that - just didn't see how free play came into it.  Logic
suggests that there is a point at which the switch is pushed in, but the
piston isn't moved.  This would seem to be the optimum location.  I have
the Bentley manual, and the illustration of free play is clear as mud.
Yes, 1/8" from the top of the pedal movement.  Until what?  What should
or shouldn't happen in the first 1/8"?  Perhaps I can't see the wood for
the trees.