Stuck in First Gear and Clutch Judder

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck in First Gear and Clutch Judder
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:22:48 +0800
My car is stuck in first gear , I'd appreciate any advice on what's
caused it, and how to get it out.

Here is the story.  I've just put in an engine and gearbox.  They had
both been sitting around, out of a car for several years.  Apart from
taking off the head and looking at the bore I did nothing else to
them.  Just dropped them straight in.

I've been driving around for a couple of days.  It has a shocking
clutch judder on taking off in first or reverse.  However, I decided
to take it to work yesterday, then, on the way home it stuck in first
gear.  The gear shift lever won't move.

I'd appreciate advice on either problem, judder or stuck shifter, and
indeed whether they are related.

It is a 1098 engine and ribcase box.

Thanks

Greg (in Perth Western Australia)