Re: Universal Fuel Pump...

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>,
Subject: Re: Universal Fuel Pump...
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:54:41 +0100
Agreed.

A problem with a 30 year old pump besides 30 years of points wear is the
amount of rust that has formed on the bar or rod that moves the diaphragm.
This often causes the whole thing to seize up.  If the points are OK but you
still have a problem with slow or non movement, do the unthinkable, mark the
location of the diaphragm in relation to the body then break the diaphragm
seal and separate it from the bar and clean the rust away.  Re-assembly is
the reversal of dis-assembly, taking care that YOU MAKE SURE THE ROD IS
REPLACED AND FASTENED TO THE SAME LENGTH.  (Sorry for shouting but it is
important.)  I have never used any sealants on the diaphragms when replacing
but I have always ensured they go back in the same position they were in
relation to the pump body.
I am aware this is heresy for a lot of people but is has meant many elderly
(50 year old) Land Rovers (as opposed to 30 year old Spridgets!) have
retained their original (Lucas) equipment.  The first pump I did this to
some 25 years ago is still working and hasn't been touched since.  The
crumbling wiring is a different matter but I don't think Lord Lucas can be
blamed for that even though you feel like it when trying to smoke him out.

If the vehicle is otherwise modified or used other than on public roads then
fine, use whatever bits you need to.  The original pump was used on a road
car not a single figure mileage car.  (Smiles)  Emptying the carbs and
spluttering at high revs is a little annoying!  (Grrrrrr!)

Guy R Day
A-H Sprite Mk IV