Re: Universal Fuel Pump...

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Universal Fuel Pump...
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:38:30 -0500
Bud,
I will second the motion that your rant was a bit misplaced. You talk about
someone looking for an excuse to be offended, but I feel that you were
looking for an excuse to rant.

Out of six Midgets, I have yet to acquire one that still has an SU pump on
it. The closest I have come is that one did have an old rusted-out one in a
cardboard box in the boot. They might be great, they might be horrible, but
they don't seem to make it to me. My Midgets have had several different
flavors of after-market pumps on them; I have put many thousands of miles on
them and I have yet to have had a fuel pump problem. I thought I had a pump
problem in the middle of the Babe Rally, but it turned out to be a bad
connection at the bullet sleeve by the gas tank which I had not messed with
previously.

SU pumps are interesting and ingenious, but they are not the only possible
solution. I see no reason to spend over $100 for a fuel pump unless you are
looking for concours points.
David Lieb