RE: Universal Fuel Pump...

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,
Subject: RE: Universal Fuel Pump...
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:37:34 -0400
David,
I'm sure that's true, but, that was not my point.
The only way to ensure the availability of top quality, OE spec parts is
to make it economically feasible for the manufacturers to produce them.
The only way to do that is to BUY them, and to keep insisting/demanding
a high standard of quality from our suppliers.
Now, the parts that you mention having on your Spridget are more like
what I would classify as "period accessories/modifications", and are
made SPECIFICALLY for the enhancement of the Spridget driving
experience.......FOR enthusiasts, BY enthusiasts.  Even the Datsun 5
speed conversion could be said to fall under that classification (and
I'm planning to install one, in one of my Midgets, one day).
But, the generic, one size fits all fuel pumps, retro-fitted
(non-Lucas/OE spec) electrics, poor-fitting, thinner than original body
panels, and some other stuff I haven't named are the type of things
that, if they take over the Spridget market, will eventually KILL the
production of high quality, OE spec parts for our cars.
Bud Osbourne