Re: Steering wheel nut

To: "Gregory Groiss" <ggroiss@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel nut
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:25:01 -0600
If you can see the mushroom effect then it is best to use a Dremel and get
rid of the mushroom's head before removing the nut.  Then, the nut will
chase the threads on the way off.  If the nut is already off then you can
taper the head off with some careful filing or Dremel work.  If you try a
threading die you run the risk of damaging the threads even more, unless you
get rid of the mushroom head first.   A fine file, some careful work, and
maybe a magnifying glass can be used to fix the threads.  Just look
carefully and remove just enough metal to make a slight taper and stop at
the first good thread.
What year is your car?  I think there were different sized nuts.  I know
there are different sized steering shafts.
Cheers,
Derf