Steering Wheel Nut

To: jlaird237@cox.net
Subject: Steering Wheel Nut
From: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:25:31 -0800 (PST)
Jack,

  I had the same problem with Bugsy my '68. Shaft threads are really soft and
the ones on the nuts are even softer to hopefully prevent you from stripping
out. Thread File from Sears cleaned up the threads. I have a steering wheel
from either a M. Minor or Triumph that came installed on Bugsy. DPO used one
monstrous heavy duty lock washer under the wheel nut and threads weren't strong
enough to pull nut tight with lock washer in place. I obtained new nuts from
MOSS, order all sizes listed as they are cheap and chances are they will ship
the wrong one.

  I reassembled steering wheel without lockwasher just using Locktite on the
wheel threads. At this point the only way to fix properly is the replace the
column. Threads look fairly good at this point but I do check to make sure
things remain tight annually.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH