RE: Steering wheel nut

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Steering wheel nut
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:39:32 -0800
Could  be a Whitworth size?

Hal

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-spridgets@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Timothy H. Collins
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:28 AM
To: derf; spridgets@autox.team.net

At 10:39 AM 1/24/2007, derf wrote:
>I don't think it is a standard thread size.  I could be wrong.  I'll check
>in a little while.  I have  a column from a 60something MG.  I think the
dia
>is bigger than 1/2 and the TPI is greater than 20.

I just checked my '66 steering column and the threads at the steering wheel
end measure to be 28 TPI. The diameter appears to be 11/16". I checked in
Machinery's Handbook and can't find any reference to this size which
probably means that you won't find a tap or die without going to a
specialty house or perhaps one of the Brit car vendors has one. Probably
the best bet is some judicious hand filing and "pruning" to remove burrs
etc. Work slowly and carefully. Verify my 11/16" diameter by 28 TPI
measurement before making big investments in taps and dies. It has already
been mentioned that several sizes may have been used depending on the year
and while I am confident about the 28TPI, the diameter may be something
really odd like 23/32"  or 21/32" or ???