Re: [Spridgets] gas vs electric garage heater?

To: "'Steven Michelsen'" <stevenm@optonline.net>, "'Midget Group at
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] gas vs electric garage heater?
From: "Herb Miller" <hgmiller3@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 06:12:06 -0500
Steve:
Gas and electrical rates vary quite a bit through out the country so check
your utility bills. I live in Minnesota so as an example I will use my
rates.
Electricity---10.48 cents per kWh
Gas-----------$1.32214 per therm   A therm is 100,000 btu ( your gas meter
measures cubic feet. One therm is about 100 cubic feet of gas, but the
energy content of natural gas varies. Your gas bill will show the conversion
factor. In my case it is 1.00789.)
1 kilowatt hour = 3 412.14163 btu
So one therm of electrical power would be 29.28 kWh
29.28 kWh would cost $ 3.07
$1.32214 gas vs $3.07 electricity
However; electric heaters are 100% effecent. All electric energy ends up as
heat, either from the fan or the heating elements. Gas heaters are about 80%
efficient. Most of the losses are up the flue.
There for gas use would be $1.652675 for equal heat in the garage vs $3.07
for electrical.
On the practical side, I had a detached garage with my previous house with a
gas heater mounted near the ceiling on the back wall. I don't remember the
heat capacity, but it was about a 2.5 foot cube. Very pleased. Fast heat up
of the garage (I kept the garage at about 45 degrees when I not working), no
wasted floor space.
In a new installation plumbing is a major consideration.
Gas piping is probably more expensive than electrical wiring. Gas requires a
flue, which may or may not be easy to install.
It depends on your needs. To take the chill of in a moderate climate,
electric heater may be enough. But for larger requirements I think the
electric heater would be rather large. In Minnesota we take heating very
seriously.
Hope this helps.

Herb Miller