Re: [Spridgets] gas vs electric garage heater?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] gas vs electric garage heater?
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 06:24:39 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Fri, 10/3/08, Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net> wrote:
> Total house and garage gas bill isn't too bad, $250 a
> month during Jan &
> Feb. last year.

Holy Spirite! Mine was less in the worst winter in 100 years here, but we grow
the young-ins tough and keeop the house in the teens ;-). But anyway, I use a
Modine natural gas heater, the Hot Dawg 60,000 BTU model. I absolutely love it,
although I read the other day Modine is in trouble. Flounder and Peter have
radiant heat in their shops, and that would be my preference, but I had to used
forced air because of the configuration of the workspace. I have a 24x28 main
garage with a 15x20 workshop off of it with oversized french doors going into
it so I can drive the car through (picture here, upper right corner:
http://flickr.com/photos/soavero/2866501870 ) . The thermostat goes down to
38F, is left at 40F, and when I work in there I kick it to 55 - 65. It takes
about 2 minutes to pull the shop up from 40, and if I open the doors it will
pull the whole shop up to comfort level in less than 10 minutes. I do wish it
had a lower fan setting for maintaining
 temps - since I sized it for the whole garage when I'm just in the shop (like
Frank, 23.9/6.9) it's 40 seconds of blast furnace followed by 40 minutes of
nothing, which gets a little annoying.

Those propane cannons are not suitable for indoor use and are brutally noisy. I
have one going on ebay soon. Check www.garagejournal.com for LOTS of ideas.

Ron