Re: Spin on oil filter

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:07:05 -0700
You wrote:  >Don,

>So my Ford factory shop manual is wrong then?

>>>What I have heard is the smaller the filter the "sooner" the bypass
>>>becomes activated.  Even largish (PH8A) filters have their bypass
>>>open at higher RPM (and viscocity) but smaller filters bypass sooner

>>>and you end up spending more time without the filter in the circuit.

>Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
>marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  (2.3L powered by Ford)
                       Yamaha Seca 900

Sorry Frank, but I don't think that Fram is so sophisticated with their
filters that they can incorporate a valve that will bypass oil flow:
 1.  before the factory relief pressure of 60 psi (more or less,
     because not all springs were created equal).  Otherwise the oil
     would "relief" back into the pan.
 2.  and not before the normal operating pressure of 50 psi is reached,
     otherwise the "bypass valve" would open and allow unfiltered oil
     to circulate.

That would be a very intelligent filter indeed for only $2 each (local
Target and K-Mart super sales).  Plus, in the few oil filters I've torn
open, I've yet to see a bypass valve in there.  I have no doubt that
your 66' shop manual states that Ford filters of the period
incorporated such a valve.  But somewhere along the way, they got
"improved" and subsequently deleted.

Opinions, just opinions

Don Daves      <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA.