The trouble with TAC / Call for consensus and sanity.

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The trouble with TAC / Call for consensus and sanity.
From: Rick Fedorchak <richard.fedorchak@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:11:00 -0500 (EST)
Regarding TAC,  Andy Walker makes the following observations:

>On the subject of TAC:
>       As with most things, I can see pros and cons to the TAC system.
>       The TAC system, however, does have one major down point that I feel
>that I
>must express...............  It could even persuade a buyer to maybe give
a higher
>price for a car that he or she feels has been fully authenticated by the
>"people in the know."  .............  But what about us folks stuck here
in the mid-section of the country?
>                                          Andy Walker

Seems though Andy's dissatisfaction with TAC centers around it's apparent
"non availability" to those in the center of the country.  However,
backing up to  an earlier statement from his post brings up problems I
perceive with the whole TAC business.

1 ) " The self appointed ? "
         Just exactly who decides who the "people in the know" are ?  Are
these folks self appointed, elected by Tiger enthusiasts local to their
area or club, or agreed upon nationally/internationally ??  Unless it's the
latter,  the whole TAC thing becomes meaningless.

2)" $$$$ are most important ? "
         Every time I see the word "TAC", it's always directly linked to
$$$$$ value for a vehicle. Consequently I believe that in spite of what
STOA would try and convince you of, $$$$/ investment is  the major reason
TAC was created.
Goodbye hobby and fun.....hello bottom line $$ investment mentality.

3) "Secrets ? "
        What's the big secret ?  If in fact there exsists some "standard" (
and face it , there really isn't ) of what a real Tiger is, then why does
STOA  state that they have a few "informed" individuals who "know what to
look for"  and are solely privy  to that  information ?  Why  not make this
information available  to _ everyone_  in the Tiger community ?
         Maybe it's just me, but historically, I don't think it fares out
well for the majority, when a minority decides  _for themselves_, that they
are the sole entity who decides what's correct, guards information as
proprietary, and is solely responsible for execution of policy.   Hey, I
don't know about you folks, but I sure as hell didn't elect these folks as
guardians of the marque.  Did you ??  And furthermore, who's in charge of
keeping those
"in the know "  honest ?  I mean,  how do I know that they aren't allowing
exceptions to their own rules amongst themselves ?  A wink, a handshake,
and another TAC certificate issued ?  Don't try and convince me it couldn't
happen.

4)" What's the reason ? "
        If these STOA representatives are truly trying to provide a public
service to the marque, why are they charging $$$$  to do so ??

5) " The Law argument ?"
        That supporters of the TAC contend validity to their stance via
stating  " putting a drill to the rivets is against
 the law", I find laughable.  Unless of course you can prove to me that you
religiously, conscientiously and scrupulously ( sp ? ) adhere to _ every_
law on the books. ( including of course those relating to speed limits ).
If you _don't_ , than maybe you'd better leave the legal thing alone.....

At this point you're probably saying " Rick, where in the _HELL_ ar you
going with all this...? "

                I CONTEND........can we please inject some sanity into this
whole thing ?

-----------------------

First;           Is this whole TAC thing really necessary ?

Second;         If it is judged, BY THE MAJORITY OF TIGER OWNERS ( not just
one fragmented segment or club ), that something like the TAC is necessary,
can we then include everyone in on decisions, policy, and execution of
policy ?  For example, lets get a consensus from everyone possible ( CAT,
STOA, TIGERS EAST,  any Brit Tiger Clubs ?, non club affiliated owners ) on
what constitutes a real Tiger.  Anything less is wholly meaningless.

Third;          In order to ensure that  this whole mess remains
aboveboard, honest, and not selectively enforced, the facts need to be part
of the "public record".  No secrets please.  Many of you contend that
information of the type Norm compiles is important and eminantly worthy of
publishing and distribution, why would other portions be deemed necessary
to keep "secret" ?

The current STOA regime, and TAC program appears to me to be too self
serving, and projects the attitude " We decide the issues, we'll create the
rules", and basically..............." we'll decide what's good for you. "
Furthermore , " we'll keep the facts a secret, and we'll grace your vehicle
with our blessing,  _OR NOT_ and reserve the right not to tell you why ! "

Imagine, for a moment,  trying to register your car with a state motor
vehicles agency.  You get there and they declare " We won't give you a
license plate and registration card" ........ "and we won't tell you why ,
either."

I say, baloney.

                                                            Rick Fedorchak