Re[2]: DMV hassles

To: milward@gte.net, Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re[2]: DMV hassles
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Fri, 16 May 97 15:39:08 PST
     Ditto;

     -I thought I was lucky in being able to use AAA (A3) instead of DMV.
     NOT! Boy, what a difference in office personnel/policy adherence/level
     of competence!

     -Our TIGER was sold, and returned back to the PO we bought it from,
     minus having any registration and transfer fees, smog, etc. done. When
     I bought the car, we paid a hefty penalty. Trying to explain the story
     to one A3 office, I was treated very suspiciously. I just needed a
     temp. tag so I could drive the car for the smog test and to get my
     exhaust system done. Man, did they think I was shifty. I then started
     to ask about the "my car is a '66, but the reg. says '67" (per
     Norman's book), but I split before the whole office lynched me. They
     would only give me a temp tag for 2 weeks! I paid my $ and left.

     -Went to another A3 office, no problem, Mr. LeBrun anything you need,
     we'll fix it for you! Boy, what a difference. I just paid an
     additional $18 (the counties have dif. tax rates), and they said I
     could have temp. tags for as long as I needed. 1 month, 2, or 3.
     And,if I just got too busy to get around to my car, well I could just
     come back and get more tags as I needed them until everything was the
     way I wanted.

     -This year I filed a non-op. until my front-end is repaired, probably
     by the Fall.

                     Phil