Re: DMV hassles

To: milward@gte.net (Bill Rogers)
Subject: Re: DMV hassles
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 97 13:12:03 PDT
> My problem is that I found the original black plates (CA people will
> understand) pristine, complete with '66 tags when my mother in law died
> in IL.  The car was stored there when original owner, brother-in-law was
> in 'Nam.  DMV wants documentation showing that the car had these plates,
> but B-I-L doesn't have any.  Probably wants the car back from his sis!
>
>                         Bill Rogers

About a year after I bought the Cobra the company I worked for
transfered me to Arlington Virginia.  Since Virginia plates were cheaper
I figured it would be a good idea to register my car there even though
keeping CA registration wouldn't have been much of a problem since about
half of the cars there had out-of-state plates.  This lead to several
mistakes on my part, not to mention the nonsense the Virginia DMV put me
through.  One, I lost my original gold-on-black CA plates which have
become big time important to many car collectors.  Two, I tossed my Hi
Performance Motors license plate brackets.  I wouldn't have bothered if
I hadn't been required to turn in my old plates.  On a Cobra these are
even more collectible than the plates.  And three I had to go through a
monumental hassle when I re-registered the car in CA.  For some reason
the CA DMV never seem to think it necessary to tell me up front what all
I needed to register the car.  Each trip meant some new required
document or inspection certificate that had to be obtain form some place
other than the DMV.  Finally, many visits and clerks later, with
everything in hand including my check book, I'm at the final window and
the DMV lady is filling out my temporary registration.  By the Way, I
sez, the make of car listed on my VA registration is Ford.  I'd like to
get that corrected.  To what, she asks.  To Cobra, I sez.  We have a
long argument about this.  Finally her supervisor comes over to see what
the fracas is about.  I explain.  Another long argument.  Finally, I
say.  All right, I don't give a damn what you call my car.  Here's my
check.  Just give me my registration so I can go home.  All of a sudden
the supervisor's attitude changes dramatically and he gets very
suspicious.  He obviously thinks I'm trying to slip something past him.
Just a minute, he sez, and disappears into a back room.  A couple of
minutes later he comes back with a thick book.  Okay, lets get this
settled, he sez.  After about a minute he finds it.  Cobra.  And that's
what's on my pink slip.

You just gotta know how to deal with these people.

Roland