Re: DMV hassles

To: Armand & Lorie Ritchie <ritchie@mcn.org>
Subject: Re: DMV hassles
From: Bill Rogers <milward@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:52:45 -0700
Armand & Lorie Ritchie wrote:

> Anyone have a problem with the calif. dmv on trying to change the date on
> you regis.  Our tiger's regis. states first regis. in 65 year model 66.
> But according to the vin number B9470219 it was built in 64, how could it
> be a 66 model?  I think they are going to make us get it smogged, which I
> don't want to do, if I don't have to.  Whats the best way to go on this
> one? Anybody run into this before, in any other states?
>
> Regards Armand
> dazed and confused
>
> ritchie@mcn.org
> Armand & Lorie Ritchie

We have B9472703, it is a '65 and was registered as a '66.  I asked DMV
to correct this error about 8 years ago and they sent me to the
California Highway Patrol (Oxnard). I took the car, documents and Tiger
ref books. with a letter of explanation.  They accepted the car and told
me to come back. I figured that if they wanted to blast around in return
for my never having to do another smog check, it was worth it.  Good
thing it has original rivets! They gave it back and it is now a '65.  I
probably have some of the letters if it would help.

My problem is that I found the original black plates (CA people will
understand) pristine, complete with '66 tags when my mother in law died
in IL.  The car was stored there when original owner, brother-in-law was
in 'Nam.  DMV wants documentation showing that the car had these plates,
but B-I-L doesn't have any.  Probably wants the car back from his sis!

                        Bill Rogers