Re: Re[2]: DMV hassles

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: DMV hassles
From: marrone@wco.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 19:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
Roland and Phils stories are all too familiar to me.  My best DMV advice has
always been to come back and try another clerk or another DMV if you get
hasseled the first time.

When i went to register my first Sunbeam it was a horror.  I was definitely
treated like a criminal.  Among other things the guy insisted that the value
of my car was that stated in CPI, something like $3500.  I told the guy that
he could have it for half that but that just made him madder.  He went as
far as to insist that I get title insurance!  Since the car was a major
restoration project I opted to pay for transfer only and forgo valid
registration.  A few years later at a different DMV it was wham blam thank
you mam, I was in and out in 10 minitues with no hassle.

BTW, with respect to rivits.  I sure Mark et. al. are technically correct
and i believe the occasional horror story.  On the otherhand some people are
making a bit much of this.  A few years back I had a '54 dodge station wagon
with a '52 Plymoth registration and VIN.  I went to the DMV in SLO Ca. to
have it fixed.  It was pretty obvious that some shennanagins had been pulled
at one time and in retrospect i should have left well enough alone.  In any
case the nice lady at the DMV came out and verified that the vehicle was
indeed a Dodge, took my word for the year, and corrected the paper.  No
problem.  I'm sure things are tougher now and Tigers are a bit higher
profile than '54 Dodges.

Take a photo of the chassis with the original rivits and have the car TACed
before you drill.  Keep photos of the restoration and paint process to back
up the restoration explenation.  Don't let any government official near your
car with the hood up.  Have your paperwork and proof in order and if all
else fails you shotgun loaded!

Frank Marrone          MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com        1966 LTD
                       Series I Alpine  "fix me"
                       Yamaha Seca 900