Re: Canadian Fans

To: <STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Canadian Fans
From: "Bill and Carol Rogers" <milward@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:20:32 -0700
The trouble with large dia props on airplanes is that tip speeds approach
Mach = 1.0 with tha associated drag rise and shock wave inefficiencies.
Tip speed is the vector sum of rotational + forward velocity: big props
going fast = high tip speed.  More, shorter blades at lower speed can still
absorb the power without Mach effects.  M = 0.95 is really the limit;
anything higher and the drag increase absorbs the power.   All this has
nothing to do with Tiger fans since we are not running them at supersonic
tip speeds.  The world record for prop planes (low alt, 3 Km) is 528.33
m/h, Lyle Shelton, Bearcat, 4 blades, 1989. Ref NAA Records Book 1996.
For Tigers, 6 works well
Bill Rogers
> From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
> Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Canadian Fans
> Date: Wednesday, October 15, 1997 12:28 PM
>
>      >The fastest prop plane ever was the 5 bladed scimitar propeller
P-47N