Re: Fuel tank follies

To: Huggins <jdhugg@frii.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel tank follies
From: curt & linda <kelson@cinci.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 18:01:02 -0500
Huggins wrote:

> Hullo out there.
>
> The lining of my tanks has finally decided to let go completely...I have
> black paint flakes floating in the tank, plugging the filters.  There are a
> lot of products listed in Hemmings to clean and pickle or reline
> tanks...anyone with first hand experience doing the deed?  I have limited
> facilities...an open carport, for example...so need to find the fastest,
> simplest way to remove the flakes and reline the tanks...I have new old
> stock rubber connectors for the cross connect between fender tanks...and
> will check them over thorougly for age cracks before installing.  Lessons
> learned please?
>
> Doug Huggins

I have gone the route of the rocks/chains clean out and finished with
Eastwood sealer. I would not recommend it. In my experience it only
works if your tank doesn't really need it anyway.

After an hour of cleaning until it looked good- you can't really tell
down inside the tank, I then used their acid etcher and sealer. Upon
starting up the car I didn't go long before my carb plugged up with
junk. I'm not sure that all that cleaning didn't actually loosen up
stuff that had been dormant for years.

I ended up going the route of a radiator shop. They dipped it for days
trying to get out all the old coating. It's possible the previous owner
had sealed it up before and we were removing that as well. We also had
to torch out stuff by using a gas welder to burn out some of the stuff
the acid wouldn't touch. He actually ended up cutting a hole to get teh
last of it out. We ended up with a spotless tank that he then sealed. I
haven't had a problem since.

Again, my situation may have been extreme but I personally wouldn't go
the route of cheap sealer again.

Curt Hoffman

Tiger Mk1