Re: steering cowl refinishing

To: jerome@supernet.ab.ca (Jerome Yuzyk), alpines@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: steering cowl refinishing
From: Dave McDermott <dave.mcdermott@cusys.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:42:53 -0700
       Jerome,

        Great question! I have tried buffing them out carefully with a
buffing wheel and using plastic rouge. That gets the gloss back but it still
does not restore the color completely. Since it is always the top half that
is discolored I think it is caused by sun fade. It seems like the
discoloration is fairly deep in the plastic. I have not tried sanding all
the way through the discoloration before buffing because I'm not sure you
could get all the sanding scratches out without overheating and then
distorting the surface of the plastic. I have seen them painted with gloss
black but it does not look quite the same and it is then subject to
chipping. I will also be interested to see what others have found. Perhap
this is a part that just needs to be reproduced.

        Dave McDermott