Re: steering cowl refinishing

To: CoolVT@aol.com
Subject: Re: steering cowl refinishing
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:52:44 +0000
Tigers,

Armorall is a bottled version of "plasticizer". This is the same stuff
that is used to make plastics pliable to begin with. When your old
dashboard begins to get "stiff" then crack, it's because the original
plasticizers have migrated out of the material. You can find the stuff
on the inside of your windshield. It looks like clear, thick oil, and is
harder than hell to get off. The Armorall product is trying to replace
these plasticizers. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the job as well as the
original, and sometimes softens the basic material. I used to use it to
"dress" the tires". Doesn't seem so bad here, as it leaves fairly
rapidly, and re-application restores luster. Heck, we used to use brake
fluid in the "old" days, for this (as did all the used car dealers).  I
don't use it on my dash or any other vinyl-like material. The idea is
OK, but the implementation has it's drawbacks. Now, if your just
"detailing" are car for sale, it's a real wonder. The next guy will end
up hating you though.
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >