Re: Odds and ends

To: FrizB MG <FrizBMG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Odds and ends
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 19:55:45 -0400
At 10:24 AM 5/2/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi Tigers
> I am prepping my Tiger for painting.It has had the frame rust repaired,the
>rocker panels replaced and the engine compartment sandblasted.It is my
>intention to paint the engine compartment,install the drivetrain and then
>finish painting the body.
> But I have just one minor problem.The rubber topped capstan that supports the
>back hood edge on the passenger side refuses to come loose.It just turns and
>turns and turns.It appears to be "blind",there is no provision to get a wrench
>or channel locks or anything else up inthere to secure the base to keep it
>from turning.I am tempted to just take care of the problem with a cold chisel
>and be done with it .I figured a question like this is made for this forum.If
>I cut it off with a chisel,how do I secure the new one in its place since I
>dont have access to the other side?I do not own a welder.
> Thanks
>Tony
        Sounds like the 1/4-28 nut that previously was welded to the
underside of the
metal has come loose.  I would use an abrasive cut-off wheel and cut the
stud in two and then allow the cut stud and loose nut to drop.  Might have
to help with
a hammer.  The get a RIVNUT and install it in the hole.  To quote Aircraft
Spruce &
Specility Co. "A RIVNUT is a one piece internally threaded and counterbored
tubular
 aluminum rivet that can be pulled up or headed while working entirely from one
side, forming a bulge or head on the blind side."  You need a tool to
install the
RIVNUT, find a tool rental place that has them or check at garages that work on
race cars, or maby at the local airport.  The tool cost around $200, too
much for
a single use.
        Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others