Re: Soft Top ... Hat

To: Bill Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Soft Top ... Hat
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 13:49:17 +0100

Bill Goebner wrote:

> Larry,
> I know it can look a bit odd, but I have resorted to attaching my hat to the
> gear shift lever using about a 3 foot length of thin cord.  It has saved my
>hat
> numerous times so far.  Occasionally I forget to remove my hat before getting
> out of the Tiger but I'm suddenly reminded of the fact while exiting.
> Bill

Great Idea, Bill.  There is even a competitive advantage. If you use bungee
cord,
it could enhance your power-shift times by 0.25 seconds from 1st to second and
from third to fourth.  Of course, second to third might bang your forehead on
the
windshield.

{8->

Prefer an Australian "Slouch" hat.  Use solid material on cool nights, and the
straw kind to keep the sun away.  Has this snap on the left side of the solid
material to allow it to be folded over at a jaunty angle, and get your ear
sunburned.  I've talked to this Royal Australian Air Force Major, and he didn't
know why they snap it on the left.  Never had to use one in a plane or rocket
launch, I suppose.  The New Zealander's don't comment too much about  "that
little
island off their coast".  One thought it had to do keeping the hat away while
firing a rifle.  If anyone had ever fired a bolt-action Enfield, they soon
understand that it's the other side that's close to your hand work.  Even in
marching and drill, the piece is shouldered on the right side.

Any Australian's out there to explain the purpos e of the single sided snap?  I
am
sure it's for something necessary and simple, just haven't caught on.  Also, if
you had a unit emblem, like say a Tiger patch, where does it get sewn on?  The
front, the left outside below the snap?

Anway, it looks great, the strap keeps it on, the straw one is cool and shady.
So, when you see me wearing it, please don't laugh.  I am a very sensitive
peson.
{8->

Steve

--