RE: cooling fans

To: "John Crawley" <johnc@nait.ab.ca>
Subject: RE: cooling fans
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 19:39:29 -0700
At 02:28 PM 8/6/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi:
>I run a 5 blade Volvo fan that works well. It has stainless flex blades
>riveted to a steel hub and required no trimming & bolts on. It came on some
>140 series Volvos. Other 140s had plastic fans which are not usable. There
>seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to which Volvo has which fan so you will
>just have to look. The price is right though - the last one cost me $3.00
>at Pick-Your-Part.
>Godspeed
>Jc

Be particularly cautious with stainless bladed fans.  Stainless tends to
work harden upon flexing so you could end up with small cracks near the
rivets  or ends which can and do propagate into major structural failures.
You won't be the first to find a piece of stainless blade protruding from
your now useless fat core radiator.
Tom