Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets

To: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifold Gaskets
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 10:30:15 -0700
Tom,

Now I'm starting to see why Edelbrock tells people to just use RTV!!

Seriously, I believe the procedure you describe constitutes the "Full
Monty" installation. Now, if you just use some scotch wool to clean the
block surfaces good, apply a thin coat of gorilla snot to both the block
and cork (make sure it's the right sides) and wait until they dry before
sticking them together, I don't believe you'll have any problem with the
gaskets moving; in fact, you'll destroy the gasket trying to get it off.
Center punching the block sure couldn't hurt though, but it doesn't obviate
the need for a clean surface to glue to.

Bob

At 09:47 AM 10/17/98 -0700, Tom Hall wrote:
>At 08:15 AM 10/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Let's pose the question the other way around: Has anyone out there ever
>>used yellow snot, yellow death, contact cement, or whatever you want to
>>call it to glue the cork doglegs to the block and had it not seal?? I've
>>done it this way a dozen times or more and never had a problem. I think it
>>requires only slightly more proficiency than just using silicone and I feel
>>a lot more confident when I'm finished.
>
>       The problem with the cork gaskets is keeping them in place as they are
>compressed while tightening the manifold bolts.  Contact cement works well
>but another "Old Racers Trick" is to prepare the block surface with a
>center punch.  Using a sharp center punch, strike the block midway between
>the inner and outer edges of the cork gasket surface every 3/8" or so
>across this surface.  The punch leaves craters with sharp raised edges and
>these prevent the cork from extruding its way out as it is compressed.
>Contact cement on this prepared surface, a light coating of RTV on the top
>surface and a bubble of RTV at each tang interface with the manifold
>gasket.  Essentially bulletproof assembly.
>
>       ps      Felpro Print-o-Seal gaskets are very effective for intake
>sealing.  I
>also like to
>               use hardened grade 8 washers under the manifold bolts to obtain
>uniform
>               torquing conditions.
>
>Tom

Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com