Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]

To: RSpontelli@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Stopping Power]
From: steve sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:24:25 -0700

RSpontelli@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-10-21 03:12:41 EDT, rootes@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << Ramon:You're too much. If you take discussion of brakes not working too
> well as a personal insult, you're beyond help.>>
>
> Steve,
>
> You really should consider taking the time to "adjust yourself" whenever your
> panties get all bunched up like that.  All I said was that your claim that the
> stock brakes were unsafe was a crock--which it is--and that perhaps your
> driving may have been a factor in your accident, which it may have
>been........

Ramon:
First of all, I don't wear panties. But I "sincerely" appreciate your concern.

Second, I said that I installed Kevlar pads on the front brakes and that this,
by
itself, made a dramatic improvement in my car.

Third, I had brake fade problems with my brand new 67 Alpine, in 1967, in stop
and
go driving and Kramer Motors, in Santa Monica, where I bought the car, said that
Rootes was aware of the problem, that they had heard numerous questions about
it,
and were working on a solution. In other words, the problem existed in a brand
new
car, checked out by factory mechanics.  I have experienced this problem in a
couple of Alpines, and a Tiger, and have talked to numerous people through the
years who have had the same experience, and many who are  happy with their
braking
too, and feel the system, as is, works well.

To clarify "brake fade", to me this is when you hit the brakes in a "panic
mode",
and the car keeps on going, and not because the wheels lock up, but because the
brakes are heated to a point of not working properly.

Obviously, if you are happy with your brakes, do nothing to change them. I never
said all Alpines and Tigers must change their brakes. If, as numerous people
have
noted, you're not happy with them, then do something about it, and the Kevlar
pads
have been a cost effective, easy way for me, and numerous others, to solve the
problem. If you're happy with your stopping power, don't ever change, man!

Dale was very specific when he advised me to first try the pads only and see how
they worked, which turned out to be  great. He explained that if you go with the
Kevlar shoes too, you may have to use a proportioning valve to keep things from
locking up. He explains this to whomever he sells these pads and shoes, so there
is no negative safety concern for the uninformed.

Steve Sage