Weight, or lack thereof

To: "Tigerlist * (E-mail)" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Weight, or lack thereof
From: "Wright, Larry" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 06:26:51 -0600
Paul Burr wrote:
*OK. Remember, you'll only be picking up the sheet metal tub of the car
with
*everything stripped off. I bet the whole thing weighed only 500 lbs.

I'd guess even less; don't know if anyone has the figures. I stripped
off _everything_ I could from my old SV Alpine and then took the shell
to the scrapyard on a trailer. My baby brother and I were able to carry
it to the trailer; I'm no Charles Atlas, and my brother rarely lifts
anything heavier than a cheeseburger. I wouldv'e figured 300lb; perhaps
a little more for a Sunbeam that hadn't rusted away so badly. Or maybe
I'm stronger than I thought! Scrapyard gave me $3.25 for the shell.

BTW, I just received an e-mail from SS Systems who made the stainless
steel exhaust on the Garage Queen; in response to my question, the
exhaust is designed for a stock Tiger only, not a modified one. This
explains why I had one of the quietest Tigers at United XX, even with
the FMS 302. Oh, well, it's only money. If there are any pesos left over
after the new suspension this winter, I'll ask opinions on exhaust
options.

non-Tiger content: My 1971 Vega Panel had no engine problems, but the
DPO ordered it with 2-speed Powerglide. What a slug!

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products Div. of USOP
lrw@aop.com